Are you looking for some tasty red cocktails to make at home while you cheer on the Chiefs?! Look no further! Here are five easy-to-make red drinks that are sure to impress your friends and family. Bonus KC Fan points for using local Kansas City booze!
1. Strawberry Margarita
A very easy, very red drink made by blending strawberries (fresh or frozen) with simple syrup. To make your own, you will need:
1 cup fresh strawberries (or frozen and thawed)
1/4 cup simple syrup
2 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
1 ounce orange liqueur (like triple sec)
2 ounces tequila
2 lime wedges
- Cut the stems off the strawberries and place them in a blender with 2 tablespoons of simple syrup.
- Pulse the blender a few times until you have a liquid with some small pieces of strawberry.
- Stir the strawberry mixture together with the lime juice, orange liqueur, and tequila, then taste. Add more simple syrup a tablespoon at a time, if desired.
- Shake or stir the mixture with plenty of ice to chill, then pour into two salt-rimmed glasses over fresh ice.
Garnish each margarita with a lime wedge, and serve.
2. Homemade Cherry Brandy
This delicious drink is made by infusing brandy with cherries. To make your own, you will need:
1 cup of fresh cherries, pitted and halved
1 cup of brandy
1/4 cup of sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cherries, brandy, sugar, and vanilla bean.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Once cooled, strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer. Discard the solids and transfer the liquid to a bottle.
- Store the cherry brandy in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks before serving.
3. Red Martini
This fruity twist on the classic Martini is sure to impress your guests. To make your own, you will need:
2 oz of gin or vodka
1 oz of sweet vermouth
1/2 oz of raspberry or strawberry liqueur
1 raspberry or strawberry for garnish
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine the gin or vodka, sweet vermouth, and raspberry or strawberry liqueur.
- Shake well and strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with a raspberry or strawberry, and enjoy!
If you’re looking for another fun red martini, check out Jane’s Kinky Pink Cherry Martini recipe.
4. Red Sangria
This traditional Spanish punch is perfect for watch parties. To make your own, you will need:
1 bottle of red wine
1/4 cup of brandy
1/4 cup of orange liqueur
1/4 cup of sugar
1 orange, sliced
1 apple, cored and sliced
1 lemon, sliced
1 cup of soda water
- In a large pitcher, combine the red wine, brandy, orange liqueur, sugar, orange, apple, and lemon.
- Stir well, and let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- Before serving, add the soda water and stir well.
- Serve the sangria over ice, and enjoy!
5. Cranberry Spritz
This classic cocktail is perfect for an easy drink that can be done quickly. To make your own, you will need:
2 oz of Cranberry Juice
2 oz of Vodka
1 oz of soda water
1 orange slice for garnish
- In a glass filled with ice, combine the Cranberry Juice, Vodka, and soda water.
- Stir gently, and garnish with an orange slice.
- Enjoy your Cranberry Spritz!
These five red cocktails are perfect for cheering on the Chiefs this weekend and on the hunt for another Super Bowl! Want a bonus recipe? Jane made this Chiefs drink for the home opener in 2019 that is a tasty blend of strawberry and cranberry, and we just so happened to win the Super Bowl that year (coincidence? we don’t think so). Okay, now you guys are set! So, gather your ingredients, mix up a glass, or a full batch, and cheers to the Kansas City Chiefs!